Saturday, December 18, 2010

Yes, so about the Moleskine planner...

..that I got last summer and didn't know what to use it for.
Well, considering that there's only two weeks left for the year to end, I decided to try it out on Wednesday, instead of my trusted Pocket Filo.

So you won't have to remember which format I got, it's the 'Weekly Notebook Diary/Planner, July 2010 to December 2011', Pocket Size. It's got a week on a page and notes on the other page.
I have been writing in it daily, using a pencil at first (OCD me is afraid to ruin it if I use ink, even though I'm not planning on ERASING my scribbles!).

My first impressions are mixed; I like the size of it, and the fact that it is a notebook.
But I have to adjust to it, as I don't have a Notes nor a To do section in it. So I'm having to write everything into the daily space, which isn't big at all! I'm glad that I have a separate work Filofax, or else, this little book really wouldn't be enough.
I know that the size issue can be 'fixed' by going up one size, but for those who know me... I don't do BIG! All my Filofaxes are either the Pocket or the Mini size, except for the work one, the Personal Scanda, but because it is only available in that size.

Next issue: the LACK of pockets. 
I know it has a 'memento pouch' (I've always though this was a silly name) on the back, but I haven't used it yet. Maybe after some time I will.

But what I'm missing the most is a pen loop. These days I've been carrying a small aluminum mechanical pencil from Muji, attached to the elastic closure. If I want to use another pen though, I don't think that would be the best way to carry it.

And not to mention the fact that I can't add or remove sections...


So, why am I actually enjoying it? 
I guess because it's not even a week that it's been in use and I'm still blinded by the novelty of a new and different system. Because I am approaching it more as a notebook (fun) rather than a planner (work). Because I have started this as a 'fling', knowing perfectly well that once the excitement is gone, I will return to my 'steady' Filo.

Or will I? 

2 comments:

averagegoddess said...

Oni, I had the same complaint about my Mole (the large daily planner version,which I use as a journal) but happened upon a very inexpensive solution I found on The Daily Planner:

http://www.thedailyplanner.com/pen-loop-p-14015.html

for $4.50 this little number just sticks on unobtrusively and holds your pen with your book!

Let me know if you want me to send you one...

Laurie said...

Oh wow I didn't realize it's a POCKET weekly notebook you have! I found the day spaces in the Large WN too small, the spaces in the Pocket size are tiny!!

And yes, once you are used to the flexibility of a Filofax, it's difficult to adjust to the fixed system of a bound book.

I'm glad you tried it, for the novelty at the very least! And to appreciate even more the wonders of Filofax!

Post a Comment